How to build for Android?

I wanted to create project for Android, but it says that platform doesn’t fit this build target. And I can’t find out where to setup external tools (Android SDK, Java).

You need to install Xamarin to build for Android.

Done, but still the same.

How did you install Xamarin? Did you install it from Visual Studio. I had the same problem until I installed Xamarin from the standalone installer (i.e not from VS installer).

Hi,

I’m having the same problem. I created the Android build target anyway, but when I try to build the android package I get this error:
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(539,2)]: Error: The “GetJavaPlatformJar” task was not given a value for the required parameter “AndroidSdkDirectory”.

I’m using vs community 2017, and I did install Xamarin using the VS installer. I can’t seem to find a stand-alone installer for Xamarin either, all the download links lead to a download of the VS installer.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

Which options under “Mobile development with .NET” did you select in the VS installer?

I used the standard install options, no modification:

• Xamarin
  • Xamarin Workbooks
  • Google Android Emulator (API Level 23)
  • Intel HAXM
  • Android NDK (R13B)
  • Android SDK setup (API level 23)
  • Java SE Development Kit (8.0.1120.15)

Should I activate any additional options you think?

I ran all updates in the SDK manager, no change.
Also switched to the 32bit version of NDK R13B, no dice.

Any suggersions appreciated.

Update: With of VS 2017 Enterprise installed with default options it works fine. There is seemingly a problem with the VS community installer, but I’m not man enough to figure out what…

Next problem is that the template Xenko game crashes when android-emulated, before even the first frame is shown.

Emulators don’t work well with Xenko. They have a lot of issues. It is best to debug on an actual device anyway.

Yea, I’m not surprised. But is that really a Xenko-problem though, or is it universal for Xamarin?
I’ve never used Xamarin before, but it appears a bit of a dangerous magic black-box to me. Code once, debug everywhere …

Why my empty android apk that build by xenko is so big ?
Does Anyone have come into this problem ?