Is there any better lighting solution for Xenko-powered games? Does it support realtime GI or some sort of lightmapping technique?
If I’m not mistaken. Right now GI is not supported. However, it definitely is in the Roadmap ( Xenko Roadmap )
Here is the card for it: Xenko Roadmap GI
However, please note that this is in the wishlist, so I don’t think this will happen soon
Xenko currently (1.10-beta) supports physically-based rendering, post-effects, etc.
Light probes have been announced for an upcoming version in the GDC trailer: https://youtu.be/lpBxiUOqtgM?t=38s.
This is an old thread, but I don’t see any more recent info on Xenko GI.
The current option appears to be manually placed light probes
As for the future…
It might be a good idea to focus entirely on real-time GI, rather than try to catch up to baked GI solutions right on the EVE of switching to real-time GI. Here are some relevant links…
- SEGI for Unity 2017 open source
- VXGI for Unity 2018 open source
- VXGI + VXAL overview
- SVGF (Spatio-temporal Variance-Guided Filtering) - cutting edge research
- Deep G Buffers for Stable Global Illumination (video) - a fast screen-space indirect lighting approximation (source code)
- Real-Time GI using Sparse Voxel Octree
- speedy ray-traced GI on low-end hardware