i think the name should be quite “mainstream”… let me explain.
if you look at other/similar company names like unity, unreal engine, blender, maya, cinema 4d, houdini, … one can see, that they have some things in common:
- easy to spell (and so to remember)
- mostly non-artificial (these are real words)
- tech/tool related (cinema is a good example, since it’s a tool that can be used to make movies)
- most of the names are lucky finds (a common word, that is not used very often [in that context]
a more mainstream or common name would also reflect xenkos current goals:
- being now open-source -> welcome and include everybody in opposition to a relatively small target group
- xenko wants its community to grow -> targeting a maximum big group won’t work with a name that targets a small and nerdy niche.
i totally agree, that focusing and emphasizing only few core features is key. i think that open-source and c# are the most important ones that also distinguish from the competitors. so i like proposals like @jdee s The C# engine tagline or names that go into the same direction like opengine that @tonfilm posted.
last, i think this re-naming is a really big and important decision that should not be chosen in a hurry. best would be to consult a design studio or similar that has experience in branding and naming.
sorry for being late to the naming party and of course, this is just my 2 cents and i’m not an english native speaker.